Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Venus

I would like to take a minute to appreciate the universe and all the beauty that surrounds us today. Today, a day when Venus' silhouette is visible moving across the sun. Unfortunately, I don't have the proper viewing device to see it with my own eyes, but the pictures on the internet have been fascinating. This one in particular: 
"Venus in transit today, telescope tracking the Sun, light in focus coming out of it's 25mm eyepiece, projected onto my hand or paper or anything really, photo of my hand with a camera. :)"
Credit goes to omenmedia. Amazing. 

And according to a wise source, the "transit of Venus" was first used by Italian astronomer Cassini to measure the distance from the Earth to the Sun. We've come a long way, folks. And so much more mystery to unravel. 

1 comment: