Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day Two

Day 2, Nájera to Santo Domingo
Walked Today: 21 km
Total walked: 51 km

Today I walked too fast. I felt it as I was walking but I really enjoyed the conversation I was having so I kept going. I should have slowed down and walked on my own. A lesson for tomorrow. It's only day two but my shins are hurting and I discovered that my left big toenail is cracked in half horizontally. But it doesn't hurt, yet!

I'm staying at a nice albergue (hostel) today, another donation-based place with full laundry, kitchen, internet and other amenities. They even have a man giving massages and first-aid care to people with injuries like blisters, all for donations. I'm trying to rest my legs as much as possible this evening in preparation for tomorrow.

I'm feeling a rush of emotions today. I began walking at 6am and arrived to my destination at about noon. As you can guess, this kind of schedule leaves a lot of time to think, reflect and be alone with your thoughts. This is one reason I wanted to do this walk,  so I'm accepting all these feelings with open arms.

Physically, I feel like I'm having a battle with my body. I don't feel hungry while I walk so I don't think I've been eating enough. When I got to Santo Domingo today I felt a mix of hunger, nausea, and helplessness. Any amount of work needed to put food into my body seemed like far too much effort. I finally settled for a few Pintxos (the Basque word for tapas, a Spanish array of elaborate snacks). The delicately placed layers of soft bread, a fried slice of tomato, goat cheese, a dab of sweet sauce and a walnut was a warm treat for my taste buds. But my stomach doesn't agree. The nausea continues...

"The Smiths - Is it Really so Strange?"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment