Friday, August 10, 2012

Jumper

A few weeks ago I went to Leros, Greece. Here's the diary I kept while there...

Day 1: I woke up at 4am to shower and get ready for our 5am departure. We got to the airport and the passport check for non-EU travelers was long. Eventually, I made it through and Elio (dad) gave me a high five. Elio and the family have munificently invited me to Leros, Greece for two weeks to stay at the Perackis family vacation home. We fly into Kos and need to rush to the ferry port. It's 10:45am. If I understand correctly, if we miss this 11am catamaran, we have to wait 7 hours for the next one. The taxi speeds along as I gaze out of the window, trying to take in my surroundings. We get to the ferry port and miraculously catch the catamaran on time. We choose our seats and Alessandro and I go check out the deck of the boat. The wind is overwhelming. I try to take pictures with my iPod and I'm afraid the wind will blow it away. I go back inside and little Anna is seasick. We try to rest a little as the boat speeds through the waves. When we arrived, Nickolaos (grandpa) arranged a taxi to pick us up from the harbor and take us to the house. We dropped the luggage off and were ready for lunch. We met Nikola at a nearby restaurant and I got an assortment of vegetables (zucchini, tomato, bell pepper, and grape leaves) stuffed with rice. My first Greek meal is delicious. We go home to rest a little before going to swim a little. Near the house, the beaches are full of rocks. To get to a sandy beach, you need to drive. But for today, I set my towel on the pebbles and enjoyed the scene. 

When we got back home, I wasn't feeling very well. For the last month I have been stricken with some sort of sinus infection (or something). My head is pounding, my ears are clogged, my throat is sore, and I have phlegm that makes me want to clear my throat at all times. Boo. I don't want to complain too much, but everyone notices I look quite uncomfortable.But they assure me that the air in Leros will clear everything up in a few days. Hmmm... So I have dinner (Spaghetti, followed by tomatoes with feta cheese, yum!), shower, then go to bed early. I guess 10:30isn't too early considering I got up at 4am. 

Day 2: Today is a special day. Seven years ago a special woman to this family, grandma, passed away. The emotions in the air are noticeable this morning. We ate breakfast and headed to church for a service, all in Greek. The church was small, yet charming. Even though I never met Antye, I'm feeling the love this family has for her. 

After the service we went to have a drink at Glaros, and Nikola went to the cemetery to leave some flowers for his late wife. The rest of the family went to their favorite beach, in Vromolithos. We had lunch at a cafe there (my first real Greek salad), then I fell asleep under the sun. We went home a few hours later and had a lovely meal of risotto,potatoes and lamb. After dinner we had some delicious Greek pastries, one called "patsaburopita." Then, the girls all went out to a local bar to have a drink and then it was goodnight, I mean: kalinikta!
Day 3: Today we had breakfast and went straight to the beach. I taught Alessandro some nature vocabulary and we played some games. Then I lied in the sun and fell asleep again, seems like this is going to be a habit! Sara made another delicious meal of pasta shells with eggplant tomato sauce. We are so spoiled! After some baklava and cleaning up a bit, it was time for bed. Buonanotte! Goodnight! Kalinikta! 

Day 4: I woke up a little early to cook breakfast with Alessandro, but he was already eating when I got up. So I just went over some cooking vocabulary with him so we could make omelets later. 

Then we jumped in a taxi and headed to Gourna Beach. This beach actually has sand (not rocks like Vromolithos). There was a nice restaurant where we had lunch and we stayed at the beach until 6pm. I fell asleep in the sun, (surprise, surprise) and I guess I missed some areas when putting on the sunscreen. Or it rubbed off or something. Anyway, the middle of my back and behind my legs are pretty burned. Like... tomato red. :/ We finally got home and Ale and I made omelets for dinner. They were pretty good! 
After 3 days in Leros I'm still getting used to things here. I'm slowly learning all of the family routines. I tried ouzo last night, which is a Greek liquor that tastes kind if like anise, or licorice. Tonight we had Spanikopita, which I was familiar with thanks to Trader Joe. And I'm not just enjoying the food and beaches here in Greece. I feel like I'm also developing a good relationship Alessandro. While cooking omelets tonight I let him choose his own fillings by telling me what he did and didn't like. At the end he said, "I like Melinda" with a cheesy smile. Haha! But of course I can't have all the luck. The first day, Anna was very enthusiastic, but yesterday and today every time she looks at me she gives me dirty looks and says she doesn't want to talk to me. If she wasn't so darn cute, I might take offense. But her curly blond hair, big blue eyes and 3 year old body screams, "It's impossible to be mad at  me!" Tomorrow, I'll try to win her over with raspberries. Goodnight!
Day 5: Today we went back to Vromolithos and I read my book and swam a bit. Alessandro and I talked about directions and names of buildings. We came home and Aunt Sara cooked an amazing meal of baked vegetables and feta. After dinner the adults played a traditional card game from Bergamo, which Sara and I had lots of trouble picking up. Then it was time for bed...

Day 6: Today we were going to go on an island tour called, Barbarossa. But it was full when we arrived, so instead we rented a car and a motorcycle and did our own tour of the island. We stopped at a few beaches, saw a church on an island, and a tiny church, The Virgin Mary of Crabs church. We were all tired after a day of sightseeing in the summer heat... But we still had a wonderful dinner made by aunt Sara. 
Day 7: Today we decided to drive to Gourna Beach. It was so hot! I played with the kids in the water a lot and ended up getting a little sunburned. I hope that famous Leros wind comes back... That night we went to a little plaza in Platanos where there was music and food. I had more Greek salad, fresh, warm, pita bread, and tsatziki. Mmmmm... 

Day 8: Today is little Anna's birthday! She turned 4 today so we had breakfast together and she opened her first present. After a day at Vromolithos beach, we came home to prepare a little party for her. The rest of the family came and we had cake, opened presents, and played charades. Before dinner, I played 'Monkey-in-the-Middle" with the kids. 

Day 9: It's Friday! TGIF! Today we went on an island tour called "Barbarossa." We started in Leros and after about an hour we were at White Island. Then we made a stop in Micronisi where there was a beautiful lagoon and caves. I climbed a huge, stratified cliff and jumped off the peak. I don't know how high it was, but its definitely the highest thing I've ever jumped off, except maybe that time I went bungee jumping.  When I landed in the water, major pain! You know that prank you see on TV where the kid gets hung on the flagpole by his underwear and left there for hours? That's about how I feel right now. But, it was all worth it because it took me less than a minute to get the courage to jump. I've been known to stand at the top of not-so-high cliffs for a while before jumping into water. But this time I was brave. I'm sure the shot of Ouzo they gave us on the boat helped... :)
The next stop was Lipsi. We had two hours there so we just walked to the nearest beach and relaxed. 

At home Aunt Sara, Uncle Alex and Elio were taking care of the sick kids. They met us at the harbor and Sara had a wonderful dinner prepared: stuffed tomatoes and bell peppers. But I can't forget the aperitivo! Ouzo and bruschetta. Mmmmm... What will we do when Aunt Sara leaves?!

Day 10: Today we went to Vromolithos, again. It was blissful, again. 

When we got home it was time to prepare for the family get-together. What a lovely evening. I got to know the family better and even though they spoke only in Italian, I could follow along and even add my two cents here and there. 
Day 11: Today we had a rental car so we drove to Gourna beach. Mom stayed home with Aunt Sara and some of the kids because they weren't feeling well. 

We had leftovers for dinner, which were just as good the next day. And I went to bed early... I think the heat is draining my energy!

Day 12: Another day of relaxing at Vromolithos Beach. Today I jumped off some small rocks and swam with the younger kids. In the evening we had dinner in Agia Marina and I went out with some new Italian and Belgian friends. 

Day 13:Today we drove to Blefouti Beach. We had lunch at a restaurant and I was really hungry so I ordered "Spaghetti with tomato sauce," feeling that the normal Greek salad wouldn't be enough to satiate me today. When my dish came, it was obviously meat sauce. So I said, "Sorry, is this meat?" and the waiter said, "No, it's tomato," and walked away. I'm starring at my plate and wondering to myself if this guy thinks I'm a complete idiot. Then I remember we are in Greece and a familiar scene from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' comes to mind. "You're vegetarian? Ok, I make lamb." I guess the Greek salad will have to do today. :)

Day 14: Today we went to Gourna again and swam in the brisk water, played frisbee, and relaxed in the sun.
This evening we went to check out the Castle of Leros right in time for sunset. Pictures wouldn't do this sight justice! 
At night I met up with the same people from Monday night, plus a few more. We went to a bar called Savana, and then to Faros in Agia Marina. Some of these people met on the island and have been meeting every summer for over 10 years. Talking with them makes me remember why I love to travel and hoping that I get I come back to Leros in future summers. Hmm, I wonder where I'll be next year...

Day 15: Oh, no... I am suffering today! So far, everyone on this trip except for me as had some sort of stomach issue. I wouldn't say I was 100% perfect the last two weeks. It's typical that traveling tends to change your system a bit, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I don't want to go into details, but whatever virus I caught made me feel like death. I'm dehydrated and hungry but my body rejects everything I try to feed it.... I'm hoping tomorrow, my last day in Leros, is better! :(

Day 16: Today is the last day in Greece! I would say TGIF but... When you're feeling like I feel right now it's hard to be thankful for anything. :( 

Day 17: Today we woke up extra early so we could make it to the 4:55am Ferry to Kos. Soon we were back in Bergamo so I could start my next trip: Tourist in Italy part 2!






No comments:

Post a Comment